Tuesday, June 22, 2010

SEQUELITIS: My Obsession With All New "Parts" and Roman Numerals

It's been a part of my psyche since I was a kid. I'd mentioned it a post or two ago, and said I'd come clean on it someday... Well - this is it. Today I confess, I am COMPLETELY obsessed with sequels. Part 2 - Part VIII... it doesn't matter. If it's a member of a franchise, regardless if it's related in any way to its previous installments, I need to see it....particularly horror.

I prefer to see sequels listed with roman numerals... II, III, IX. It's even better when it's listed as "PART (roman numeral)." FRIDAY THE 13TH - PART VIII. THE HILLS HAVE EYES - PART II.

It irritates me when a sequel pretends not to be a sequel. LEPRECHAUN IN SPACE (Part 4). HELLRAISER: HELLSEEKER (Part 6). URBAN LEGENDS (Part 2). If you're embarrassed about how long-in-the-tooth your franchise is (think WITCHCRAFT 13), or fear sales will diminish because you're series has forgotten where it began 3 or 4 sequels ago (ahem, FREDDY'S DEAD), then maybe the film shouldn't be made.

A few franchises who proudly wore their sequel #'s:

FRIDAY THE 13th (1- 10) (minus Part 9)
SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT (1 -5)
WITCHCRAFT (1 - 13)
SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE (1-3)
MANIAC COP (1-3)
VICE ACADEMY (1-8)
POLICE ACADEMY (1-6) (minus Part 7)
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1-5) (minus Parts 6 & 7)

So what is it about seeing a story wear thin or a continuous title that has no connection to previous installments that keeps me coming back for more?

MORE TO COME....

No comments:

Post a Comment