Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Why I Worship at the altar of J.R. Bookwalter


A happy thing showed up in my mailbox the other day... my final paycheck from Shout! Factory for the SLEEPLESS NIGHTS documentary I recently directed for them. Last night, as I shared my joy (and bought some cocktails) with friends and family, I realized that having received that check was more than just thanks for a job well done. I was happy that the check had been received at all.

Last week, I had dinner with my dear friend, actress Tina Ona Paukstelis (ASWANG). After bitching to her about all the money I haven't received for past productions, she commented "You just keep getting ripped off, don't you?!" Tina has known me from college through my entire professional career. And she's right. I received one royalty check (a small one, I might add), for the films I did for Moore Video back in the 90s, even though they continued to sell copies after that. I sold a bulk of my movies to a distributor in the late 90s... never got my payment. Throughout the early/mid-2000's, I published dozens of articles. For one particular magazine, I'm still owed nearly $3,000. More recently, I'm over a full year past getting paid for NOVEMBER SON (2008) by distributor Ariztical. Looking back, one of the few people I have been able to trust in this industry, is my friend, mentor, distributor J.R. Bookwalter.

Bookwalter, like myself, has spent his career striving to be the best in low-budget cinema. He gained notoriety for directing the cult-classic zombie flick THE DEAD NEXT DOOR back in 1985 at the tender age of 18. (It's a poorly kept secret the film was financed by none other than Sam Raimi of THE EVIL DEAD and SPIDER-MAN fame.) Forming his own indie production /distribution company Tempe Entertainment / Tempe Video and the magazine "The B's Nest" (later remonikered "Alternative Cinema") in the late 80s, Bookwalter quickly became the demi-god to all kids who wanted to pick up their dad's camcorder and make a movie for $100.

Understanding that all-consuming need to make cinema, Bookwalter was among the first to take other people's homegrown products and put them out onto the market. Initially through his zines and mailings, then through the internet. He promoted those titles with all the gusto and pride of a proud papa and his newborn baby. Even when the movies sucked (some so poorly you could smell their rott), he stood behind them. He has treated his directors, casts, and crews with such respect its remains a difficult task to find anyone with nary a bitter word about the man.

After actress Brinke Stevens (whom I also owe my career to) introduced me to Bookwalter at one of her famous back-yard BBQs, Bookwalter took many more steps than he needed to in introducing me to David DeCoteau. His efforts resulted in many years of work with the cult director and inspired me to direct my own short film, JULIA WEPT (2000). The idea was to create a feature to get additional work from other producers. The first person to hire me? J.R. Bookwalter.

SOMETHING TO SCREAM ABOUT
beget a series of wonderful working experiences with Bookwalter and his associates. Taking on various roles in front of and behind the camera, productions such as HELL ASYLUM, DEADLY STINGERS, and the BAD MOVIE POLICE franchise quickly filled my resume. He stood behind me on OCTOBER MOON - an item no one else wanted to touch because of its combo gay/thriller-theme. Nobody else was making films like this at the time, and while every other producer I approached ran screaming, Bookwalter felt I had something special.

Even though he's long referred to me as a publicity whore (a title I wear loud and proud), Bookwalter has had my back more than anyone else in the industry. He's attempted to steer me down the right avenues (even though I don't always listen), gotten me in touch with many other folks who would lead to additional film and journalism work, and always been honest and right -on-time with statements and payments. When money was lost in a bankruptcy scenario with a joint distribution company, Bookwalter was direct up front and has proven his worth in trying to earn the money back. He has forewarned me of the highs and lows of the business, respected with great intent my "coming out" and domestic partnership (though I'm still waiting for that wedding gift), and even honored me with being the godfather of his handsome little fella, Benji.

So why do I worship at the altar of J.R. Bookwalter? Simply put, he's a kick-ass guy, a great trustworthy friend, and has long offered the guiding hand of a big brother. Get to know him, and his work.

1 comment:

  1. "Get to know him, and his work."
    I will, but you will always be my favorite, indie, innie, or outie, even though you never took me up on my offer to add my pitiful resources to your sweet work. Just saying. :) <3

    ReplyDelete